Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An end of an Era

When I reflect on my life it seems that there is the before kids and kids era. Before kids I had my dogs. Jake and Lexi. From the time I got Jake as an 8 week old puppy, I rarely went anywhere without him. He was my best friend. I was God in his eyes, there isn't a whole lot more in this life that gives the same kind of love and devotion. When I bought my house, I adopted Lexi. She and Jake became an instant pair. He was the wise professor and she the class clown. But I loved them dearly. After my babies came along, I still loved Jake and Lexi very much. I continued to keep them as close and constant companions. Jake loved my babies, each of them. He watched, waited was patient. Lexi wasn't a fan of the kids, but never once was anything but patient. Patient when she was crawled on and pulled on. Patient when she just got comfortable and then got banged into with a dump truck. Jake and Lexi have become such a part of me and my life that I don't know how I am going to fill the void. Jake is gone, he has been for 2 years and there isn't a day that goes by that I want him to run to me and flop his head in my lap. Now, my Lexi is 8 years old, and she is sick. I don't have any good answers yet, but I am not ready for her to leave. Every part of my being is screaming that I am not ready for the symbols of my before marriage and kids life to be gone.Let's have some more goof ball while we have the chance ok Lex?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon,
    Julie here from the "adoption blog" world. You mentioned that you live in Del. Co--I was raised in Aston and graduated form Garnet Valley HS--crazy, small world. I moved to Lancaster before getting married and have been here since. Anyway, thought I'd let you know that we're not so far apart. Thanks for your thoughts and I look forward to hearing where you are taken in this life of parenting! And I hope all is well with your dear puppy. Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete